Not only copywriters are writing for the web these days. Because information on the web needs to be updated constantly, more people (especially developers and designers) are becoming “accidental copywriters.” Here are a few general tips for writing for the web.
– Know the scope of your project, the content and strategy
– Web copy and design should be inseparable
– Understand the audience you’re writing for and don’t use big nouns. People don’t have time to hear you sound smart.
– Don’t be cliche. Be original. Example: “Got Widgets” = Lame!
– Knowing the language your writing for is half the battle (duh)
Fifteen percent of product liability comes from improper documentation, so hiring a professional copywriter might we worth the extra money to avoid the headache.